How to Use:
- Click anywhere on either the Portland or Statewide African American Historic Sites map to begin.
- Double click the map to zoom in, or use the “+” and “-” icons to zoom in or out.
- Click and drag to move the map.
- Click the “Home” icon to return to the starting view.
- Clicking the “Legend and Layers” icon brings up the map legend. Use this to switch between Extant (existing) and Non Extant (non-existing) structures.
- Clicking the “Filter” icon allows you to change the display to show the different kinds of historic sites. Use the search bar to search for sites by keyword.
- Clicking “Attribute Table” brings up a list of all locations on the map.
Data compiled from Cornerstones of Community: Buildings of Portland’s African American History (1995) by Darrell Millner, Carl Abbott, and Cathy Galbraith, and from the research files of Oregon Black Pioneers. Maps by Hannah Mellor.